<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Monday, July 03, 2006

Hey, I Haven't Received Mine Either

Yesterday I was working in the ticket office with a couple other interns. It was a pretty slow day. The ticket office is the least-preferred job of all the interns, and I fortunately didn't have to experience it until this weekend, thanks to my scoreboard operating duties. But anyway, there I was, sitting in the office.

One of the players walked up to the ticket window and asked me, "I haven't received my paycheck yet... Do you know anything about that?"

Well, no. No, I don't.

I told him I couldn't give him any help on his paycheck problem.

Now, some of the players aren't making much - I believe in short-season A ball, the minimum salary is $850/month, plus a per diem on the road (which isn't much), and the team sets the players up with host families. (The families are compensated, but I'm not sure if they are paid by the team or the players. It's probably the team.) Anyway, I understand that they want their paychecks ASAP - most probably live check-to-check.

However, I wonder if the players realize that, helping the team run smoothly during the season, there are 10 interns who are working for nothing more than experience and a line on a resume?

After the player had gone off in search of his paycheck, one of the other interns in the ticket office gave a mock answer to his question.

"Funny, I was wondering the same thing."

:

Post a Comment

<< Home