<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Baseball Trivia Time

There's an excellent baseball trivia quiz over on ESPN.com that I highly recommend checking out. If you think you know baseball, this will put you in your place. I took it and went 38/50, which disappointed me, especially because there were a few questions that I missed that I definitely would have had at some point in the past.

How did others do in comparison?

12 major leaguers and managers took the quiz. Only one (Kevin Mench) beat my score (40). The only Phillie to take the quiz, Jimmy Rollins, got 29 right. Joe Maddon, the only manager to take it, scored 31.

9 ESPN baseball analysts also took the quiz. Five of them beat me (Gary Gillette was the highest scorer, with 45 right), I tied one (Eric Neel), and beat three (Jerry Crasnick, Eric Karabell, and Steve Phillips). Disappointing to me, because, you know, I used to be a baseball researcher for ESPN. (Although I do think that if I went back to that job for a month, I would have cracked 40, no problem.)

A couple blogs I read also took the poll - Sports Reference Blog (run by Sean Forman of baseball-reference.com), which scored 40, and Baseball Musings (run by David Pinto, another former ESPN baseball researcher), which scored 38.

Take the quiz and let me know how you do.

Also, here's my favorite baseball trivia question: Eleven players have won back-to-back MVP awards - at least one for every position on the diamond and at least one for every decade since the 1930s, when the award as we know it began. Who are the 11?

:

Post a Comment

<< Home