<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sunday Morning Staying Up

During final exams, my sleep patterns get completely screwed up. I pretty much start sleeping when I'm tired, as opposed to by any fixed schedule. So last night, after watching a disappointing episode of Saturday Night Live (except the Chili Peppers, they were good), I studied for my Entertainment Law final for about 2 1/2 hours. It was 3:30 a.m., I still wasn't tired, so I played a couple games of NHL 06 online (and discovered just how bad I am at that game - I lost to one guy 3-0, but I got outshot something like 30-2).

At about 4:30, I decided I should just stay up and go see the sunrise. The Getty Center is probably the best place around from which to watch the sunrise, but I didn't think the tram would be running at 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday. I decided to see if Malibu would be a decent place to watch - I figured that since the shore faces south, I could see the sun rise in the East. I checked weather.com for the time of the sunrise - 5:59.

Unfortunately, once I got to the beach, I realized I hadn't bothered to check the actual weather (turns out it was mostly cloudy). It was pretty hazy when I rolled up at about 5:40, and I was hoping the clouds would burn off. As 5:59 approached, it became clear that it wasn't going to become clear. Nevertheless, I took some pictures.

These were taken right when I got there, at around 5:45.One thing that was kind of cool about being there at that hour was that there were a few dozen surfers out in the water. I thought there might be a few, but I wasn't expecting so many, especially before 6 a.m. on a Sunday. I guess I went to the right beach.In this one, those specks in the water are all surfers out there, waiting to catch a wave in.This was taken at 5:59. Great frickin' sunrise, huh?As I was driving back from the 'Bu, a couple thoughts occurred to me. First, if you want to get anywhere in Los Angeles, 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday is a good time to do it. Second, I think the sun probably rises a little bit north of due east after the spring equinox, so even if I could have seen it, it would have been rising over the mountains, not the ocean. Next time I get this kind of brilliant idea, I'll try to pick a clear day in December.

:

  • At Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cool shots. Thanks for sharing. As for the right side of the Blog ("Recommended Reading"), I noted your reference to Brokaw's Greatest Generation. With all due respect, that book sucks. Uggghhh. It's about as subtle as Bush's foreign diplomacy. Brokaw's concept of what makes a generation great is premised on the utterly shallow and misguided notion that the generation must fight a great war for a great cause, and that, having done so, the men and women will be able to forever transcend the miserable "ordinary" existence they would have otherwise had but for the war. Gag me with a spoon, why don't you.
    For some good non-fiction reads, may I recommend: Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco
    by Bryan Burrough, John Helyar; Man's Search for Ultimate Meaning
    by Viktor E. Frankl; 1491 : New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann; or Looking for Spinoza: Joy, Sorrow, and the Feeling Brain by Antonio Damasio. Anything but Brokaw, please!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home