<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Extended Network

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about MySpace (in the same way that Dwight Gooden is all about the nose candy, but that's another story). But there are some flaws here, and it's time one of them was addressed.

Every single person's profile is in my "Extended Network." It says so right there in the top right corner of every profile you look at. My friends are in my extended network. My enemies are in my extended network. People I don't know - in my extended network. People who talk to me once a year and want nothing to do with me the other 364 days - yep, in my extended network. Even when I look at my own damn profile, I am in my own extended network. When I am in my own extended network, we are seriously starting to stretch the boundaries of how we define our interpersonal (intrapersonal?) relationships.

Friendster has the whole network thing down pretty cold. Why can't we get some of that action over here, since I spend 99% of my online-social-networking-site-time capital here, posting stupid pictures in other people's comments, talking to people I hardly know, and stalking people I do know?

I wanna know who knows who, and if everyone is in one fantastic super extended network, that's not getting done. I wanna play six degrees of me. How am I supposed to know who the guy behind the guy behind the guy is? Or who know somebody that know somebody that know somethin' 'bout it?

I deleted Tom, but he's still in my Extended Network. Someone pass this along to that fool.

:

Post a Comment

<< Home