<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Thursday, December 08, 2005

Excuses, Excuses

I'm trying to get in as much studying for this Copyright Law final tomorrow as I can, but there is something of a significant obstacle in the way - my chemo treatment this morning. It's only low-dose, and no, I don't have cancer, but I still have to do it. Unfortunately, the treatment itself takes about three hours, and then I'll feel fatigued later in the day, so I'll have to nap for another four hours, which is seven hours that I won't be spending getting ready for tomorrow's exam.

On the one hand, I've been doing this for just about the entire semester, so I should be used to it. On the other hand, the fact that I have been doing this for the whole semester is a big reason why I'm probably not as ready for this exam as I could be - since the class is (relatively) early in the morning, I frequently let myself sleep in, which is possibly due to the fatigue brought on by chemo (it could also have something to do with late-night hockey practices, but I feel completely justified in blaming at least some of my missed classes on chemo).

I think getting toxic chemicals pumped into my veins on a weekly basis should count for something, right? I've been persevering through this all semester. Is that the kind of thing for which I can get a notation on my transcript? I wonder if that would help me with interviews...

Hiring partner: So, Alex, you seem like a bright guy, Law Review and all, but it says here you got a C in Copyright Law...do you really think you're Big, Law, & Firm material?
Me: Well, if you notice, there's an asterisk by that grade. I actually spent that entire semester on chemotherapy.
Hiring partner: Really? Why didn't you just take a medical leave of absence?
Me: I'm glad you asked that. Honestly, I am so fascinated and stimulated by the law that I couldn't bear the thought of four months without it. Also, I was confident in my ability to block out everything in my life, including my medical troubles, while I devoted myself to law school.
Hiring partner: Terrific. We'd like to make you an offer.
Me: Sounds great. Are you going to finish your steak? I'm supposed to eat lots of protein.

Snap back to reality...

Interviewing associate: So, here we have Alex ... uh ... Finnegan ...UCLA ... 2L ...
Hiring partner: Is this guy kidding? That GPA's not going to cut it. Why do these clowns even interview? Who else we got?

***

On a lighter note, I've been called out by my brother for a seven-game series in bubble hockey after I put a picture of my biggest triumph against him in a post yesterday. I have beaten him in four out of seven before, although more often than not it's the other way around. But I'm feeling optimistic about it. He won't be fresh - the last time he played was over Thanksgiving, and all the games were close. Plus, I'll be in Philly for at least a week leading up to the showdown, so I can get some practice in (against my Dad, though, which is kind of like going up against a scout team - actually, it's not even that good, because he can't mimic the way my brother plays).

Anyway, this needs some promoting. This is gonna be huge. As far as I'm concerned, it's the World Series of Bubble Hockey. It is...

Call your cable or satellite operator today! I plan to stage a fight at the weigh-in, so don't miss that, either.

(Hey, studying for Copyright Law was getting tedious. I needed a break. And I could have made that look a lot better if I had Photoshop.)

On second thought, this is not a lighter note. This is serious business. And on January 8, you can probably expect to see results - maybe even pictures of the main event - right here (or on my brother's blog).

:

Post a Comment

<< Home