<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Saturday, November 12, 2005

Returning Sniper Fire

I'm going to keep this short but sweet.

Comments like this one that I got yesterday crack me up. I don't mind at all that someone disagrees with what I wrote about the ballot initiatives in this week's California election. But I have two problems with this comment.

First, what's the point of merely writing that I'm wrong? I took some time to write out what I thought about each measure; and all I get as far as discourse on the issue is that I'm wrong? How about offering some kind of counterargument? Or at least a link to Schwarzenegger's website so you can try to back up your point with something?

Second, you say that what I wrote illustrates the failings of direct democracy. I think what I wrote proves exactly the opposite. I had opinions about the ballot initiatives; I got to vote exactly how I felt. You got to do the same. Yes, I know your argument is that because I'm wrong, and everyone else who agrees with me is wrong, that the government is going to hell in a handbasket, and the way to fix it is not to allow all of us malfeasors to cast our votes directly. Well, California passes laws through the legislature, too (and plenty of them). It's obviously not a straight direct democracy, so go tell your elected officials how wrong the majority is and correct the injustice.

I hate politics. By the way, UCLA hockey beat Stanford 8-0 last night.

:

  • At Sunday, November 13, 2005 1:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "First, what's the point of merely writing that I'm wrong?"

    Good question. I guess I was just venting. Disable comments if you don't like it. But it "cracked [you] up", so I guess it's a win-win.

    "I took some time to write out what I thought about each measure; and all I get as far as discourse on the issue is that I'm wrong? How about offering some kind of counterargument?"

    It was too late to win you over. Besides, like I said, I was just venting.

    "Second, you say that what I wrote illustrates the failings of direct democracy. I think what I wrote proves exactly the opposite. I had opinions about the ballot initiatives; I got to vote exactly how I felt. You got to do the same."

    I think you put it best in your argument against proposition 77: "Well, this seems sort of okay, since the voters get to vote on the district boundaries, except for one thing: The public is stupid." The thing is, you're a smart guy. But even a smart guy can't just read the ridiculous ballot arguments and make an informed decision. You have to do your homework. The vast majority of people, like yourself, just don't find time to do this. I don't blame you. I just think it illustrates why direct democracy is largely impracticable.

     
  • At Tuesday, November 15, 2005 7:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Mr. Anonymous (or Ms.?), now you have me totally confused. And believe me, I tried mightily to study up on the issues presented by the props. But what exactly is "direct democracy" -- as compared with "indirect (??) democracy?"

    Confused in Pasadena

     

Post a Comment

<< Home