<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Monday, June 13, 2005

From Cali To Philly To The Circus Of Piccadilly

Some quick initial impressions of London and my voyage here before I go to my first class session here.

The Toronto airport sucks. It took me an hour to get from one gate to another during my layover from Philly to London. I had to go through customs even though I wasn't leaving the airport, then I had to take a bus from terminal 3 to terminal 1, go through security again, then take another bus to a satellite terminal because the new international terminal is under construction.

Probably due to the airport sucking, Air Canada lost my bags. They should arrive today (it's already been over 24 hours since I arrived), but in the meantime I had to buy some essentials.

London is really frickin' expensive. Prices here are approximately equivalent for most things - i.e., a hamburger will cost you eight pounds, just like a hamburger in the States at a nice restaurant will cost eight dollars. The only thing is that a pound is equal to about 60 cents.

"Armitage Shanks," which is the name of a Green Day song, is apparently a British urinal manufacturer. I learned this in a bathroom at Heathrow. Just wanted to note that for the record.

Bars close at 11 p.m. here. That's pretty harsh. I guess I'll have to start my boozing sooner. The positive side is that I'll at least be able to wake up for the morning classes a little easier.

People driving on the left side of the road is freaking me out. One of my goals is not to get hit by a bus when I look the wrong way crossing a street here.

Note to international travelers: Please wear deodorant for the sake of the person who has to sit next to you for seven hours.

More updates to come in the future...

:

  • At Monday, June 13, 2005 10:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Given 11 pm bar closings in London, early morning classes and 9 hour time difference between California and Great Britain, I probably don't have a prayer of catching you in your room (awake)telephonically, so I am eagerly following your exploits online. As for that deodorant thing, you might as well get used to it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home