<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10043376\x26blogName\x3dJust+Off-Camera\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://justoffcamera.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1547182701581714937', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Just Off-Camera

"They respect you if you write. The dumber the world gets, the more the words matter." -Dan Jenkins


Wednesday, January 19, 2005

If You Don't Know, Don't Even Bother To Ask

"BARRISTER'S BALL - The annual Barrister's Ball (aka law school prom) will be held on Feb. 11 at a hotel in Santa Monica in a ballroom with ocean views and more importantly, a 2-hour OPEN BAR. Tickets will go on sale very soon, time TBA. You don't want to miss the best law school social event of the year, so start making plans to ask that cute section-mate of yours who you stare at from across the room during con law."

So said the e-mail I got today. I heard about this when I was beginning law school - every year, there's a big formal dance, the biggest and best law school event of the year, and because law school is a lot like middle school (we have lockers, we have all our classes with the same section of students, and so on), people call it the prom. I was looking forward to it. Couldn't hurt to have a second shot at going to the prom.

By the way, I call it "the prom," not "prom." That's just how it was at my high school. Actually, it might have been just me. Deal with it.

But something about that date seemed familiar. Super Bowl? No, that's Feb. 6. I checked my calendar. Sure enough, Feb. 11, 9:00 p.m.: UCLA hockey vs. USC.

Game 5 of the Crosstown Cup, to be precise. The most important game of the regular season. I think that to some of the guys on the team, taking the Crosstown Cup from USC is more meaningful than winning the Pac-8 championship.

There's a good chance that I won't play in that game, although you never know. Still, even considering that, I didn't need to think twice about where I'd be on the night of Friday, February 11.

I have a feeling that when I tell my law school friends that I'm not going to Barrister's Ball that they'll tell me to skip the game, that I won't play, that the prom will be more fun. I've had similar conversations when other games conflicted with nights out. It won't make a difference. I'll be at HealthSouth, uniform on, ready to go.

One of the great things about playing for UCLA is that I really feel like I'm on a team again, which hadn't been the case for me since high school. When there were conflicts with men's league games and frat parties, I would go to the parties. It's different now. I practice with the team twice a week, I travel with the team, and implied in that concept of team is a commitment to be there for games under almost any circumstances.

There will be other Barrister's Balls. What we have a chance to do against USC is win the Crosstown Cup for the first time in eight years, and I wouldn't think of skipping it. I want to be there when we skate the Cup around the ice.

Plus, now I don't have to deal with finding a date.

:

Post a Comment

<< Home